Having a young baby, you know that blow-outs are never a good idea, let alone in a long security line at the airport. Oh, did you think I meant a diaper blow-out? Well, that too, but I was really thinking about a carry-on bag blow-out. When I last flew with my nearly-one year old, I could barely zip the bag! I thought I only packed the essentials, but I managed to sneak in some extra toys we probably didn't need. However, we did manage to use almost every item in the bag. Here is my list of carry-on essentials, in order of importance:
1. Bottles and Formula: Love the instant formula while traveling. No need to mix formula and water. Just pour in bottle and it's ready! Even easier is just breastfeeding your baby-- a total space-saver!
2. Diapers (and wipes and disposable changing pads): Well, what goes in must come out! I try not to pack too many diapers in the carry-on, but enough to cover the extra blow out that can happen with the pressure changes of the flight. Also, I LOVE to have disposable changing pads to cover the sometimes gross changing tables in the bathrooms.
3. Pacifiers (and pacifier clip): Pacifier is a must-have in this house. Definitely a soothing item for my baby especially on plane rides. And I recommend using the pacifier clip... nothing worse than having "corky" fall on the airplane floor... or airport bathroom floor... or in the toilet... eww
4. Change of clothes: I usually just pack one extra outfit for baby when space is tight... and then pray that she only has one major mess (or fewer if we're lucky!) before we get our checked luggage!
5. Blankets/small burp rag: Useful for any small spills or messes...and to keep baby warm on chilly flights!
6. Snacks: Love the pouch option. Easy for baby to eat and not too messy. Super convenient to pack! (and unlike this photo, packing the WHOLE bag of cheerios is definitely not necessary! A smaller zip-lock bag would have been just fine!)
7. Toys and books: If I had to cut anything out of the bag, this would be it. I try not to overload the bag with too many toys as my baby barely plays with them on the plane. Too many other distractions around her to keep her busy! She would rather climb all over me and the strangers sitting next to us, or pull all the magazines out of the seat back pocket and throw them on the floor... and then do it all over again :)
Okay, so what do you think, WanderFamilies?? What did I miss that you recommend for baby's carry-on??